True ‘New York style’ parallel compression — with an addictively punchy flavour.
Parallel Powers in a Plugin
Parallel compression - also known as ‘New York compression’ - is an essential technique for creating more powerful mixes. But it can be a hassle to deal with the extra routing when you’re in the creative zone.
Baby Audio have made a plugin that does the hard work for you — with a fat and punchy flavour.
What the industry says...
Under the Hood
Parallel compression, the traditional way, means setting up a separate bus, sending your audio to it, crushing it hard, then blending it back in with your signal. It also means having to balance an extra fader for the remainder of your mix. If you’re thinking that there must be an easier way, you’ve come to the right place! Baby Audio have built a simple plugin for the entire process: ‘I Heart NY’ hosts a parallel track internally — giving you instant, punchy ‘New York Style’ compression on demand. No extra routing needed.
The SPANK knob may look innocent on the surface. But it controls a complex algorithm, designed to fire-up anything you throw at it. Specifically, you’re getting a mix of high-ratio compression with a transient-friendly envelope - and a bit of EQ - combined with a low-end preservation filter applied to the internal detection signal for a fuller sound. Add a little of it to give a dull track some extra smack, or add a lot to push your mix all the way to the limit (and beyond).
The incoming audio is duplicated, then processed and mixed in, before both signals are summed together through the output.
While parallel compression is its primary strength, I Heart NY can be more than a one-trick pony. Engaging ‘SOLO’ mode makes the plugin operate as a normal insert compressor (by muting the dry audio signal). This opens up a whole new set of possibilities for using the SPANK algorithm on your material.
- Parallel bus hosted internally for an intuitive workflow.
- Unique & adaptive compression algorithm.
- Compatible with all major DAWs on Mac and PC.
- Platform: Mac OS 10.7 and up.
- Plugin formats: VST, VST3, AU, AAX
- DAWs supported: Ableton Live, Cubase, Logic Pro, Nuendo, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason + more.
- Compatibility: 64-bit compatible only.
- Platform: PC Windows 7 and up.
- Plugin formats: VST, VST3, AAX
- DAWs supported: Ableton Live, Cubase, Nuendo, Pro Tools, FL Studio, Reaper, Reason + more.
- Compatibility: 64-bit and 32-bit compatible.
Note: An internet connection is required to authorise this software.